'The Moaning of Life' by Karl Pilkington (2013)

The Moaning of Life: The Worldly Wisdom of Karl Pilkington - Karl Pilkington

Karl Pilkington, The Moaning of Life: The Worldly Wisdom of Karl Pilkington (Edinburgh: Canongate Books, 2013), 358pp

"Yes, I'm sure there can be plenty of nice moments when you have a child, but there's another side to everything. Hearing a baby laugh might be a lovely thing, but if I was woken up in the middle of the night by my baby laughing to itself, it would bloody terrify me." (pg. 131).

Another great offering from Karl Pilkington, who is as hilarious and absorbing as ever. Initially, I was worried that the material wouldn't be fresh as I have seen the television series that complements the book (or rather, the book complements the show). But the book was great, going into a bit more depth than the show was able to, and even the bits I knew were still funny.

I also think Karl might be getting smarter, or at least more eloquent in presenting his ideas to his readers/listeners/viewers. He writes well; the book is a breeze and a joy to read. It is also very well-presented, with illustrations that complement the text. The section on 'Happiness' is particularly good, demonstrating Karl's greater open-mindedness and self-awareness whilst still remaining extremely funny. He also seems to be able to quickly strike up a rapport with the people he meets, and comes across as a thoroughly likeable bloke. He's also always trying to save various animals, whether it is the goat in Mexico or Tony the turtle in Japan. If you're a Karl fan, you'll love it, and if you're not (yet), this is as good a place as any to start, aside from the TV show itself.