'Scholes: My Story' by Paul Scholes (2011)

Scholes: My Story - Paul Scholes, Alex Ferguson

Paul Scholes, with Ivan Ponting, Scholes: My Story (London: Simon & Schuster, 2011), 298pp [signed]

No one expects much from a footballer's biography, and that is an appropriate attitude with which to approach this one. Often praised for his humble professionalism during his playing career, this means there isn't any controversy in Scholes' book, unlike those of previous Manchester United players like Roy Keane and Jaap Stam. So whilst there are no new revelations (except for the mild assertion that, contrary to accepted wisdom, he was not frustrated at playing on the left of midfield for England), this is a nice trip down memory lane. Scholes is invariably modest and self-deprecating, with the banter mostly hitting the mark. It is nice to revisit some of United's greatest moments of the 1990s and 2000s and to be reminded of some of my favourite players such as Ruud van Nistelrooy, Jaap Stam and Ole Solskjaer, although it is the more recent seasons that are dealt with a bit more thoroughly (perhaps inevitably, since these memories are fresher). It probably goes without saying that this is a book that appeals only to Manchester United fans like myself.

There has since been an updated paperback version of this book which covers Scholes' surprising decision to come out of retirement to play for United once again. I haven't read that one (my earlier edition is signed) but since Scholes is, at the time of writing, still playing professionally I'd hold off until he retires for good, although hopefully that won't be for a while yet.