'Happyslapped by a Jellyfish' by Karl Pilkington (2007)

Happyslapped by a Jellyfish: The words of Karl Pilkington - Karl Pilkington

Karl Pilkington, Happyslapped by a Jellyfish: The Words of Karl Pilkington (London: Dorling Kindersley, 2008), 224pp

"People say that when you buy someone a present, you should buy them something they wouldn't buy for themselves. The first time I experienced this was when my Auntie Nora gave me a T-shirt for my eighth birthday with a black-and-white image of her face on the front of it." (pg. 137)

A very funny book, but probably only if you're already a fan of Karl. Dedicated fans will also have heard some of Karl's anecdotes in this book before, but there is still plenty to enjoy. The title comes from one new anecdote on page 128, where Karl is stung by 'some yob fish' from 'the rough part of the sea' in the Caribbean, and for me it is these animal-based stories which are the most amusing. It also seems like Karl acts as a magnet for other weird folk who he encounters on his travels, and he is surrounded by friends and family whose lives he remarks on in his inimitable style. For example, whilst on holiday in Madeira:

"Suzanne's [his girlfriend's] mam was having a go at her dad cos he didn't have a shirt on. She said he looks a mess and is embarrassed to be seen with him. It's their ruby anniversary tomorrow." (pg. 153)

Non-fans should listen to the podcasts or watch An Idiot Abroad before reading this. This is because when you read it with Karl's distinctive voice in your head, it makes it even funnier.